Emv Chip Cards

mirceamircea ✭✭Posts: 34Member ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask The Community
switching to chip
I noticed that the payoneer Card is a swipe only card ( no chip only mag stripe ). In UK , France , Spain , SW and many European country that is a big minus . It is impossible to pay for gas at robot stations using a US credit or debit card. Same for a train ticked or even on 60% of store where the new POS accepts Chip cards only .
So for me in my country i must rely on ATM cash .....and is not rent-able nor comfortable .

I know that some US banks like Chase had already started the process of issuing the new chip cards . They have a very hight security level almost impossible to be cloned ( copy ) .
So what is the situation with your bank ? Can you ask and give a reply . Starting from may 2013 here they will not accept swipe only cards at all .
But if you will provide the option to pay supplementary fee for a chip card , i will gladly do it .
Here the cost of a chip card ( bank cost ) is around 5 euro (7-8$) but i will gladly pay even 10 times more for a chip card since it will spare me from caring cash and using ATM ( hight fees ) .
And again from 2013 may your current card for some European countries will be just a piece of plastic .
Please try to ask your bank if they have in " plan " migrating to chip technology in future .

Cheers !

Comments

  • NissimNissim Head of Community Posts: 4,013Administrator ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    mircea wrote:

    I noticed that the payoneer Card is a swipe only card ( no chip only mag stripe ). In UK , France , Spain , SW and many European country that is a big minus . It is impossible to pay for gas at robot stations using a US credit or debit card. Same for a train ticked or even on 60% of store where the new POS accepts Chip cards only .
    So for me in my country i must rely on ATM cash .....and is not rent-able nor comfortable .

    I know that some US banks like Chase had already started the process of issuing the new chip cards . They have a very hight security level almost impossible to be cloned ( copy ) .
    So what is the situation with your bank ? Can you ask and give a reply . Starting from may 2013 here they will not accept swipe only cards at all .
    But if you will provide the option to pay supplementary fee for a chip card , i will gladly do it .
    Here the cost of a chip card ( bank cost ) is around 5 euro (7-8$) but i will gladly pay even 10 times more for a chip card since it will spare me from caring cash and using ATM ( hight fees ) .
    And again from 2013 may your current card for some European countries will be just a piece of plastic .
    Please try to ask your bank if they have in " plan " migrating to chip technology in future .

    Cheers !


    Hey Mircea,

    Thanks so much for the information. We are aware of this issue, as unlike the USA some European countries have begun introducing Chip and PIN cards.

    It's important to note, however, that many of these countries do not require the Chip and PIN, and in fact local laws and regulations indicate that store owners must accepts non-Chip and PIN cards.

    I will look further into this issue and see if I can get an update for you.
    Nissim
    Director of Community at Payoneer
  • mirceamircea ✭✭ Posts: 34Member ✭✭
    Nissim wrote:

    Hey Mircea,

    Thanks so much for the information. We are aware of this issue, as unlike the USA some European countries have begun introducing Chip and PIN cards.

    It's important to note, however, that many of these countries do not require the Chip and PIN, and in fact local laws and regulations indicate that store owners must accepts non-Chip and PIN cards.

    I will look further into this issue and see if I can get an update for you.


    Hey Nissim ,
    Thanks for the answer .
    I know that the law stipulate that booth types should be accepted but came here on a weekend go on a trip from a city to other and please try to find a gas station that accept a swipe only card .......you will never find it .
    I know that is US is about changing POS and infrastructure but had been the same for Canada and now they have migrated .

    My question was simple US migration will start as Chase had already started issuing new cards .....i was asking if you bank with is far as i know in Belize will follow that movement in the next years ? You could definitely triger them a question about it .
    I will restate again that for that type of card i am willing to pay a fee and i bet i am not the only one in that situation .

    Cheers !
  • TaliaTalia Moderator Posts: 514Member ✭✭
    Hi Mircea,

    I just spoke with our management and this is indeed in our plans, but I don't have a date for you yet. However, I have already alerted them about the problems you have been having so they are now aware that there are beginning to be problems already.

    Thanks so much for your post - this is really important for us to know.

    Have a marvelous day!
    Talia
    Sign up for Payoneer and the US Payment Service here!
  • MacKenzieMacKenzie Posts: 4Member
    Talia wrote:

    Hi Mircea,

    I just spoke with our management and this is indeed in our plans, but I don't have a date for you yet. However, I have already alerted them about the problems you have been having so they are now aware that there are beginning to be problems already.

    Thanks so much for your post - this is really important for us to know.

    Have a marvelous day!


    That is good news talia, I'm happy to hear that payoneer is working on this.
  • ssthormessssthormess Posts: 3Member
    Talia wrote:

    Hi Mircea,

    I just spoke with our management and this is indeed in our plans, but I don't have a date for you yet. However, I have already alerted them about the problems you have been having so they are now aware that there are beginning to be problems already.

    Thanks so much for your post - this is really important for us to know.

    Have a marvelous day


    +1

    Here in Venezuela some Banks are starting to reject non-EMV cards, just telling. We can't use a USD funded card here because currency regulations, but I still use mine on Internet. :)
  • TaliaTalia Moderator Posts: 514Member ✭✭
    ssthormess wrote:

    +1

    Here in Venezuela some Banks are starting to reject non-EMV cards, just telling. We can't use a USD funded card here because currency regulations, but I still use mine on Internet. :)


    Thanks! Good to know. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what country are you in?
    Talia
    Sign up for Payoneer and the US Payment Service here!
  • norueganoruega ✭✭ Posts: 13Member ✭✭
    Talia wrote:

    Thanks! Good to know. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what country are you in?

    Hi, just to follow up - here in Norway the swipe cards will not be accepted after Dec 1 in most stores...

    Ref (in Norwegian): VG - only chip after dec 1 2011

    So I would really like a card with chip... how are your plans for this now? :mellow:
  • NissimNissim Head of Community Posts: 4,013Administrator ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    noruega wrote:

    Hi, just to follow up - here in Norway the swipe cards will not be accepted after Dec 1 in most stores...

    Ref (in Norwegian): VG - only chip after dec 1 2011

    So I would really like a card with chip... how are your plans for this now? :mellow:


    Thanks for the update, I will definitely pass it along and notify you if there are any updates.
    Nissim
    Director of Community at Payoneer
  • GemGem Posts: 7Member
    Talia wrote:

    Thanks! Good to know. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what country are you in?



    Consider the Philippines too. Although we are much of a magnetic stripe country for now, some of the local banks here have started issuing cards with EMV.

    We also suffer credit card fraud here. Carrying an EMV card would be better.
  • NissimNissim Head of Community Posts: 4,013Administrator ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Gem,

    Thanks for the info ;)

    We definately realize the advantages, and in some areas requirements, for Chip & Pin, and have a team dedicated to developing this functionality for the Payoneer card.

    The process is a bit complicated and involves major changes, however we will be sure to update you once we have any updates.
    Nissim
    Director of Community at Payoneer
Sign In or Register to comment.