Got your card cloned? Payoneer does not refund!

PaoloC6PaoloC6 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

I've filed a dispute to Payoneer because within 48 hours I got my card cloned and stolen 447 $ 

After months of waiting they wrote me an email explaining that after their interpretation of the Terms and Conditions they are not responding of the card being cloned. They offered to refund only 200$ because of "good faith" but not because it is a right.

I've replied back that I find unfair their behaviour even because they don't take any measure to contain damages when the card is cloned. I've asked a more complete refund and now they simply stopped to reply.

Their message

Subject: Message from Payoneer Customer Support

Dear Paolo,

This message is to confirm that your dispute filed on 07/14/2013 has been processed by our Chargebacks Department.
We would like to direct your attention to two issues related with the dispute, concerning customers’ liability for unauthorized transactions made on the Payoneer card:

1. Please refer to section 12 of Payoneer’s Terms and Conditions, which states the following:
“....To the extent permitted by applicable law, we are not responsible for lost or stolen Cards or any unauthorized transactions made with the Card." This section reflects Payoneer’s policy regarding transactions posted to compromised or stolen cards.

2. Since Payoneer is an American company, we have established MasterCard’s “Zero Liability” policy, which provides card holders with full protection from any unauthorized transactions posted to their cards. However, this liability expires when:
a. (i) issued for commercial, business or agricultural purposes, except for MasterCard commercial cards used for small businesses as listed on www.mastercardbusiness.com; or
b. (ii) if a PIN for a debit transaction is used for the unauthorized purchase.

That being said, we have still decided to refund you the amount of $200 out of the full dispute as an act of good faith, before we initiate this refund, we would like to ask to fill the attached form, confirming you accept this refund.

Sincerely,

Ray

Payoneer Customer Support

My response:

Dear Ray,

I'm not happy with the outcome of this issue, because:

1) You refer to unauthorized transactions made with the card, I can demonstrate that the card has never been out of my control, even because I never entered the US soil in that period, so if any transaction was made it has been made with a illegal copy of that card, providing a secure service inherits the purpose of your company. Your company decision of not providing an instant notification of recorded transactions and not include in the card a microchip is clearly below the industry standards, this exposes your customers to risks that can be easily avoided and you should take responsibility of these choices.

2) Regarding the usage of a PIN code I have personally being able to use the card for POS purchases without typing my PIN.

In general terms I think unfair then this partial (much less then the half) refund, if you were giving instant e-mail or SMS notifications after the first transaction I could have noticed the problem and limited everybody's damage, this would also have made me also responsible of notifying that situation to you. In fact I have still being diligent in accessing  constantly to my account to check it, so less than 48 hours passed before noticing and blocking the remaining funds.

If you want to reduce your company liability you should better activate notifications and set a policy for which you are not responsible for unauthorized transaction after 24h from the first suspect transaction.

So at this point I will simply accept a refund of 400$ as the remaining 47$ to cover your operation costs.  

-- 

Paolo Calvi

Comments

• FlowerPowerFlowerPower Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I have never heard of chargebacks being limited to "non commercial cards". It is, however, my understanding that a transaction where a valid PIN was entered is non-recourse, which may likely limit the card holder's ability to chargeback. Can you please advise if the cloned card was used at an ATM or in a retail shop?

• PaoloC6PaoloC6 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    FlowerPower wrote on September 25 2013, 2:45 AM: »

I have never heard of chargebacks being limited to "non commercial cards". It is, however, my understanding that a transaction where a valid PIN was entered is non-recourse, which may likely limit the card holder's ability to chargeback. Can you please advise if the cloned card was used at an ATM or in a retail shop?

It was used in shops and gas stations in the US

• NissimNissim Head of Community Administrator Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that your card was used without your authorization, and do assure you that our chargeback department follows up on all claims and disputes filed. Unfortunately this forum is not a replacement for official support, and we would not be able to assist you with your dispute.

I do recommend that you reply back to the e-mail you received and the relevant department will be able to assist you further.

This discussion has been closed.