Pending Authorization

Hello,

I already sent an enquiry to payoneer customer support but while waiting for their response I'd like to post my question here, hoping to get a faster answer.

I tried to purchase an item yesterday from an online store. After entering my Payoneer card details at the checkout it gave me an error message stating that something went wrong and that they could not process my order. Obviously one would think that the payment wasn't successful.

But when I checked my payoneer's account balance online, I was utterly surprised when I saw that the store did charge me without giving me any confirmations. Now, the amount charged is listed under Transactions - Pending Authorizations with this: 

Date: 12/13/2013 23:53 T75131986 

Pre-Auth Transaction-POS Signature Purchase International 

(MERCHANT NAME)

(AMOUNT CHARGED)

Can you please explain what Pending Authorization is and its mechanics?

Cheers,

Jeansen

Comments

• RomiRomi Community Manager Member Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

An outstanding authorization is when a merchant places a hold on a certain amount of funds on your card to verify that you have sufficient funds to pay for the transaction. Some merchants' agreements with MasterCard allow them to pre-authorize smaller or larger amounts than the expected transaction.

If the amount pre-authorized is bigger than the actual transaction amount, the remaining funds may be held for several days before being released back to your available balance (the number of days depends on the merchant type).

Romi

Community Manager at Payoneer

Find us on Facebook & Twitter

• bzguhrlbzguhrl Member Posts: 2
    Romi wrote on December 15 2013, 3:35 PM: »

An outstanding authorization is when a merchant places a hold on a certain amount of funds on your card to verify that you have sufficient funds to pay for the transaction. Some merchants' agreements with MasterCard allow them to pre-authorize smaller or larger amounts than the expected transaction.

If the amount pre-authorized is bigger than the actual transaction amount, the remaining funds may be held for several days before being released back to your available balance (the number of days depends on the merchant type).

Thank you for your help. I received an email from Payoneer's customer support today. Hopefully they can help me settle this.Will keep you posted. :)

• RomiRomi Community Manager Member Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

:thumbsu:

Romi

Community Manager at Payoneer

Find us on Facebook & Twitter