Double Monthly Fee Charge And Fee Unclear

uubliveuublive Posts: 3Member
Hello,
I just activated my card and i used it to pay in a restaurant as a "test".

First thing i noted is that i got charged twice for the montly fee of may, so instead of $3.00 i got charged by $6.00:

Date: 5/17/2012 10:48:34 AM Auth Number: 37786819Terminal Id: 87316115 History Maintenance fee May 2012 Payoneer Inc. NY, US Amount to charge: $3.00
Date: 5/17/2012 10:48:33 AM Auth Number: 37786818Terminal Id: 87315477 History Maintenance fee May 2012 Payoneer Inc. NY, US Amount to charge: $3.00

Second, I checked the pre-authorization transaction and, from the 21.7GBP i paied I got charged $42.26. Checking on the fee page, i see that "When a transaction is made as a foreign transaction or is requested in a currency other than USD, charges of up to 3% may be assessed above all charges assessed by MasterCard for the transaction." which means, roughly, that i should get charged 21.7 + 3% = 22.4GBP, which today is about $35.5.
So why I got charged $42.26 ?

Best,
M

Comments

• DavidDavid Posts: 3,556Member ✭✭
    uublive wrote:

Hello,
    I just activated my card and i used it to pay in a restaurant as a "test".

First thing i noted is that i got charged twice for the montly fee of may, so instead of $3.00 i got charged by $6.00:

Date: 5/17/2012 10:48:34 AM Auth Number: 37786819Terminal Id: 87316115 History Maintenance fee May 2012 Payoneer Inc. NY, US Amount to charge: $3.00
    Date: 5/17/2012 10:48:33 AM Auth Number: 37786818Terminal Id: 87315477 History Maintenance fee May 2012 Payoneer Inc. NY, US Amount to charge: $3.00

Second, I checked the pre-authorization transaction and, from the 21.7GBP i paied I got charged $42.26. Checking on the fee page, i see that "When a transaction is made as a foreign transaction or is requested in a currency other than USD, charges of up to 3% may be assessed above all charges assessed by MasterCard for the transaction." which means, roughly, that i should get charged 21.7 + 3% = 22.4GBP, which today is about $35.5.
    So why I got charged $42.26 ?

Best,
    M

Hey,

Thanks for visiting our forums.

Hotels and Restaurants tend to charge a little more as a pre-authorization fee. I have checked your account and the amount has been updated to the actual charge.

In regards to the double maintenance fee, I am going to pass this on to customer support and get one of them refund it for you.

• uubliveuublive Posts: 3Member
    David wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for visiting our forums.

Hotels and Restaurants tend to charge a little more as a pre-authorization fee. I have checked your account and the amount has been updated to the actual charge.

In regards to the double maintenance fee, I am going to pass this on to customer support and get one of them refund it for you.

Thanks David,
    I checked and after the pre-validation now the charge amount is correct. Now I'm wondering (out of topic), since when I am paying with a credit/debit card I am actually signing a fixed displayed amount, is it legal to "pre" charge more without me knowing that?

m
    uublive wrote:

Thanks David,
    I checked and after the pre-validation now the charge amount is correct. Now I'm wondering (out of topic), since when I am paying with a credit/debit card I am actually signing a fixed displayed amount, is it legal to "pre" charge more without me knowing that?

m

Pre-authorizations are only used to confirm the validity of the card, and are not actual charges. The funds will are returned to the card once they expire.

• Ahmad PrayitnoAhmad Prayitno Posts: 2Member
    edited May 2012
    i have similar case like this, on mei i got doble maintenace fee.
    And my balance is not correctly.

Second, my balance not yet correctly.
    My first load 46.32

Here my transaction
    3 x 2 (Maintenance Mei, please correct this)

My balance should be 6.44

Please correct this
    fee.JPG 74.6K

i have similar case like this, on mei i got doble maintenace fee.
    And my balance is not correctly.

Second, my balance not yet correctly.
    My first load 46.32

Here my transaction
    3 x 2 (Maintenance Mei, please correct this)

My balance should be 6.44

Please correct this

Hey,

Thank you for visiting our forum.

I am passing the matter on to a manager and it should be resolved soon.

• uubliveuublive Posts: 3Member
    I still quite don't understand something from the Transactions log: if hotels and restaurants (etc) charge a little more as a pre-authorization fee, how come i can see the right amount in pounds, and a "charged" conversion in dollar? shouldn't I see a charged amount in pounds already and, after 48 hours or so, see the correct charge?

es. i paid 21.7 pounds. in the pre-authorization i see 21.7 and a charged conversion in USD. after 48 hours i get charged 21.7 pound + commissions. If the restaurant charged more during the pre-authorization should i see something else instead of 21.7 pounds?

thanks again for being so kind explaining .)

M
    uublive wrote:

I still quite don't understand something from the Transactions log: if hotels and restaurants (etc) charge a little more as a pre-authorization fee, how come i can see the right amount in pounds, and a "charged" conversion in dollar? shouldn't I see a charged amount in pounds already and, after 48 hours or so, see the correct charge?

es. i paid 21.7 pounds. in the pre-authorization i see 21.7 and a charged conversion in USD. after 48 hours i get charged 21.7 pound + commissions. If the restaurant charged more during the pre-authorization should i see something else instead of 21.7 pounds?

thanks again for being so kind explaining .)

M

Transaction details will show you the actual amount in your currency (without the pre-authorization mark up).

The actual pending pre-authorization will show under outstanding authorizations, and will be a little more for hotels and restaurants.

When the transaction completes it will be for the actual amount of the charge, and the pre-authorization is dropped.