Charge Declined, But Still Outstanding Authorization

I tried to make a purchase at a store and the cashier said there was an error and the charge was declined. Then we tried again and it worked, but when I check my online account it says that both charges went through, one is regular and one is under outstanding authorization. Will the second one be cancelled or do I need to contact support?

Comments

• NissimNissim Head of Community Administrator Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to make a purchase at a store and the cashier said there was an error and the charge was declined. Then we tried again and it worked, but when I check my online account it says that both charges went through, one is regular and one is under outstanding authorization. Will the second one be cancelled or do I need to contact support?

Hey,

When a merchant attempts to charge a debit or credit card, the amount is often times "frozen" until the transaction is processed. This is called an outstanding authorization, as you mentioned. If for whatever reason there is a technical issue that causes the transaction to not go through, there's a chance that the outstanding authorization will remain for a set amount of time, typically a few business days at most.

The funds are still technically in your account, however simply "frozen" until the original transaction is fully processed, at which time they will become available once again.

Hope that help ;)
  • lintrovertlintrovert Member Posts: 5
    I have sent multiple emails asking if outstanding authorization will affect my incoming salary from Upwork but no one has replied for days. At the moment, my balance is $0 and below is the last email 6 days ago.

"The $200+ transaction has been paid back, however the $200+ is still pending. Please note that the transaction in question is an outstanding authorization, meaning the transaction is pending the merchant's authorization and has not yet been charged.Your outstanding authorization will be automatically released back into your account on 01/06/2017. However, if the merchant chooses to charge the transaction before the release date then the funds will not be released back into your account and you may dispute the charge by contacting us."

I am about to withdraw my pay from Upwork and I'm nervous that it will charge the outstanding authorization. Please advise