chip EMV

nicomixnicomix Posts: 2Member
edited August 2013 in Popular Questions and Tips

Hi.

I believe that more than one has the same problem as me, is it hard to pay with magnetic stripe cards, where I live there any ATM that accepts magnetic stripe, EMV chip only accept and that's a problem, I have read several topic about this and have been saying since 2011 that implemented but it is very hard to follow rules and now they're two years from that, the more you have to wait?

Comments

• NissimNissim Head of Community Posts: 4,013Administrator ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Hi Guys,

I'm happy to announce that we've started a beta program for the upcoming Payoneer EMV Prepaid Debit MasterCard card! If anyone is interested in applying for the program and being one of the first to receive the new card, please send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information:

- Your Payoneer account username (e-mail)

- Your country

Thanks again for the feedback!

Nissim
    Director of Community at Payoneer
  • JhonaJhona Posts: 6Beta Tester

Applied! really glad you guys are trying EMV

• Howard SHoward S Posts: 52Member ✭✭

Just a little question here, will this new card have only chip/pin or will it also have the strip?

Howard 

Hi Howard,

The card will have both the Chip and magnetic strip. 

As an EMV card, if the card processor supports EMV you will be required to complete the transaction as EMV. If the processor is swipe only, you can use the card as a regular swipe card.

Nissim
  • agent010agent010 Posts: 12Member ✭✭

Will the EMV cards be issued by a USA based bank?

agent010 wrote on April 4 2014, 5:22 PM: »

Will the EMV cards be issued by a USA based bank?

The current EMV cards are being issued by a European bank.

Nissim
  • vasya_in_da_housevasya_in_da_house Posts: 29Member ✭✭
    If the processor is swipe only, you can use the card as a regular swipe card

Will the PIN be now a requirement for such transactions via swipe only terminals? With current Payoneer chipless cards, 99% of the times only signature is required...

Wondering if this will change if you swipe "chip and & pin" card in "swipe only" terminal.

Thanks

Nissim wrote on April 6 2014, 12:06 PM: »

The current EMV cards are being issued by a European bank.

Nissim,

One of the forum members raised an issue that new cards are "chip & Signature" not "Chip & Pin". Can you address this isssue? http://community.payoneer.com/index.php?/topic/16812-card-with-chip-but-no-pin/

• BarBar Community Manager Posts: 60Guest
    vasya_in_da_house wrote on April 13 2014, 2:04 PM: »

Nissim,

One of the forum members raised an issue that new cards are "chip & Signature" not "Chip & Pin". Can you address this isssue? http://community.payoneer.com/index.php?/topic/16812-card-with-chip-but-no-pin/

Thank you for sharing with us, we'll be sure to check the post and reply.

edited April 2014
    Bar wrote on April 13 2014, 2:47 PM: »

Thank you for sharing with us, we'll be sure to check the post and reply.

Thanks Bar,

Nissim clarified this already in other topic (http://community.payoneer.com/index.php?/topic/16812-card-with-chip-but-no-pin/). Apparently new cards "Chip & Signature"  (not "Chip & Pin" type like it was originally announced few weeks ago) which is bad in terms of:

a) its not as safe at "Chip and Pin" card, because doesn't require PIN be default, so with old POS terminals it  will work just as old "swipe only" card. In other words, if magnetic stripe is cloned (it is still there, so it can be cloned) there's no additional protection by PIN code, because "Chip & Pin" requires PIN for EVERY offline transaction. With "Chip &Pin" all you need to care about is keeping your PIN and CVV safe, but with "chip & signature" in additional to PIN and CVV, you need to care about card not being cloned... just like with old "swipe-only" cards...

b) European standard  is "chip & pin", so you may have problem with this new payoneer chip card in Europe like described here here  and here

c) you do not need to show the ID with "Chip and Pin" because PIN is much secure way to determine that card is not stolen.

So, by my subjective opinion, this new type card brings more troubles than advantages. Payoneer, why wouldn't you do REAL "chip and pin" cards? As far as I know, EMV card authorization type is set by issuer, so its definitely in your hands to decide what to use: "chip & pin" or "chip & signature" ...  We want/need  "Chip & Pin"!!

Sorry for being critical, just a little disappointed,  cause was expecting for "Chip & Pin" like you originally announced few weeks ago....

I do apologize for the confusion in our announcement, in regards to "Chip and PIN" vs "Chip and Signature." I assure you that in making the decision to go with Chip and Signature cards there were many factors taken into consideration. Also, please keep in mind that the actual chip must still be available when making a purchase at a chip terminal, so cloned cards would still have to clone the chip.

That being said, your feedback is extremely important and we urge anyone who is living in a country where EMV cards are in use to contact us and provide us with feedback. All feedback is considered.

Nissim
    edited April 2014
    Nissim wrote on April 13 2014, 5:52 PM: »

I do apologize for the confusion in our announcement, in regards to "Chip and PIN" vs "Chip and Signature." I assure you that in making the decision to go with Chip and Signature cards there were many factors taken into consideration. Also, please keep in mind that the actual chip must still be available when making a purchase at a chip terminal, so cloned cards would still have to clone the chip.

That being said, your feedback is extremely important and we urge anyone who is living in a country where EMV cards are in use to contact us and provide us with feedback. All feedback is considered.

I can't think of one factor where the signature is better in real world, unless you are handicapped so I would like to hear more about those factors you've taken into consideration.

You could've taken a short trip from your NYC office to for example Dublin and seen how the things are in Europe. I've been in the states several times and I've always had EMV card with me and I always swiped & signed it as there was no chip terminal or it was out of use. Think outside the box, pin is better than signature.

So the only thing that I see that has taken into consideration was that your profit from fees would drop as people would use more PoS instead of withdrawing cash from ATMs.

We do understand that European countries, in addition to various other regions around the world, have been using EMV for quite some time (and that the US is fairly behind in that technology). While I cannot personally comment on the business decision to start off by introducing Chip and Signature EMV cards, I have passed your feedback on so that it can be considered. 

You are also welcome to send me any additional comments or concerns via PM or direct e-mail.

Nissim
    Also, please keep in mind that the actual chip must still be available when making a purchase at a chip terminal, so cloned cards would still have to clone the chip.

The problem is that outside of the Europe there's plenty of POS terminals which do not even "know" what chip is and that's why if card is cloned (just magnetic stripe enough) it can be used for POS transaction.

"Swipe only"/ "Chip and Signature" do not protect from such fraud. "Chip & Pin" will protect.

I can't think of one factor where the signature is better in real world

I guess they have made such decision because of US market.

vasya_in_da_house wrote on April 13 2014, 6:54 PM: »

The problem is that outside of the Europe there's plenty of POS terminals which do not even "know" what chip is and that's why if card is cloned (just magnetic stripe enough) it can be used for POS transaction.

"Swipe only"/ "Chip and Signature" do not protect from such fraud. "Chip & Pin" will protect.

I guess they have made such decision because of US market.

But in US you can still Swipe and sign even with EMV-card. Been there, done that. There was a chip and pin option on the terminals but I was adviced to just swipe the card. I see no reason to force people from elsewhere to use Chip and signature as it doesn't oppose any harm to the US-market.

• Andy_2Andy_2 Posts: 1Member
    Nissim wrote on March 25 2014, 10:07 AM: »

Hi Guys,

I'm happy to announce that we've started a beta program for the upcoming Payoneer EMV Prepaid Debit MasterCard card! If anyone is interested in applying for the program and being one of the first to receive the new card, please send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information:

- Your Payoneer account username (e-mail)

- Your country

Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi Nissim,

Will this new EMV card be embossed?

Thanks!

It will be embossed with your full name, as with the current card.

Initially all cards will have a default Payoneer design.

Nissim

Can someone please explain why ATM transactions with a new chip card now first go to "Pending Authorizations" List instead of being completely finalized like it was before with an old cards? Weird...

• RomiRomi Community Manager Posts: 2,706Member ✭✭✭

Hi Vasya,

The transaction being in the Pending Authorization section isn't related to the fact that it's a new card. Some merchants may place a hold on funds until they are released for the exact amount that was spent. The specific ATMs which you used must be doing this, processing the transactions at a later time, and this is why they are pending authorization.

Romi

Community Manager at Payoneer

Find us on Facebook & Twitter

edited April 2014

Hi Romi,

I used this specific ATM dozens of times and never got transaction into pending list. Last time a few weeks ago with an old card, the same ATM finalized transaction immediately. Actually I never got any ATM transaction into pending list for 3 years. 

By the way in topic "ATMs in Ukraine" people raised the same issue few times already (link)... 

• RomiRomi Community Manager Posts: 2,706Member ✭✭✭

Hi,

Perhaps this specific ATM/Bank handles transactions differently between different types of cards. We're not aware that there is any specific issue with this type of Payoneer card. Please let us know if you see more of these cases, and perhaps try different ATMs and see if the same happens. Let us know and we'll do our best to look into it once we have more information.

Romi

Community Manager at Payoneer

Find us on Facebook & Twitter

I just received the emv card you guys sent me, will i be charge for the activation fee? 

edited April 2014
    vasya_in_da_house wrote on April 13 2014, 4:29 PM: »

Thanks Bar,

Nissim clarified this already in other topic (http://community.payoneer.com/index.php?/topic/16812-card-with-chip-but-no-pin/). Apparently new cards "Chip & Signature"  (not "Chip & Pin" type like it was originally announced few weeks ago) which is bad in terms of:

a) its not as safe at "Chip and Pin" card, because doesn't require PIN be default, so with old POS terminals it  will work just as old "swipe only" card. In other words, if magnetic stripe is cloned (it is still there, so it can be cloned) there's no additional protection by PIN code, because "Chip & Pin" requires PIN for EVERY offline transaction. With "Chip &Pin" all you need to care about is keeping your PIN and CVV safe, but with "chip & signature" in additional to PIN and CVV, you need to care about card not being cloned... just like with old "swipe-only" cards...

b) European standard  is "chip & pin", so you may have problem with this new payoneer chip card in Europe like described here here  and here

c) you do not need to show the ID with "Chip and Pin" because PIN is much secure way to determine that card is not stolen.

So, by my subjective opinion, this new type card brings more troubles than advantages. Payoneer, why wouldn't you do REAL "chip and pin" cards? As far as I know, EMV card authorization type is set by issuer, so its definitely in your hands to decide what to use: "chip & pin" or "chip & signature" ...  We want/need  "Chip & Pin"!!

Sorry for being critical, just a little disappointed,  cause was expecting for "Chip & Pin" like you originally announced few weeks ago....

I posted this reply in another topic but just wanted to follow up here as well. Will copy my reply below, but just to clarify: the card cannot be cloned as a magnetic stripe is. The "Chip and Signature" EMV card has the same protection against card cloning as a "Chip and PIN" card.

Please note that the Payoneer EMV card can still be used at EMV terminals. This provides you with added security as the Chip technology helps to prevent the card from being cloned. This works in the same way for "Chip and Signature" as it does for "Chip and PIN." The difference would be having to sign for the purchase, rather than entering a PIN.

You would be able to use the card at EMV terminals that did not previously support your swipe card, or shops that were not accepting it.  In addition, the card should still work at automated EMV terminals (gas stations, vending machine, etc). If you experience any issues using the card at EMV terminals please do let me know (via PM or e-mail at [email protected]).

Nissim
    Nissim wrote on April 22 2014, 6:11 PM: »

I posted this reply in another topic but just wanted to follow up here as well. Will copy my reply below, but just to clarify: the card cannot be cloned as a magnetic stripe is. The "Chip and Signature" EMV card has the same protection against card cloning as a "Chip and PIN" card.

Please note that the Payoneer EMV card can still be used at EMV terminals. This provides you with added security as the Chip technology helps to prevent the card from being cloned. This works in the same way for "Chip and Signature" as it does for "Chip and PIN." The difference would be having to sign for the purchase, rather than entering a PIN.

You would be able to use the card at EMV terminals that did not previously support your swipe card, or shops that were not accepting it.  In addition, the card should still work at automated EMV terminals (gas stations, vending machine, etc). If you experience any issues using the card at EMV terminals please do let me know (via PM or e-mail at [email protected]).

Nissim since i got the EMV card it seems like i'm charged all the time for currency conversion fees when purchasing in dollars, it shows all the time like the new EMV card is in GBP, is this normal? 

• kamalparvezkamalparvez Posts: 4Member
    How to receive EMV chip card?
    You can contact our customer support department and request one: https://payoneer.custhelp.com/
    Nissim
  • sibsoftsibsoft Posts: 0Member
    Nissim, can you please answer Jhona's question:

--------
    Nissim since i got the EMV card it seems like i'm charged all the time for currency conversion fees when purchasing in dollars, it shows all the time like the new EMV card is in GBP, is this normal?
    ---------